Tchaikovsky
www.tchaikovsky-research.net

Home > Forum > Second Nutcracker Suite?

Second Nutcracker Suite?

On "Wikipedia":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nutcracker cite_ref-18

we read this:

"Tchaikovsky also made a second suite, less well known and less frequently played, of some of the other numbers:

• Act I, Tableau I: Nos. 4 & 5
  • Act II: Adagio from the Grand Pas de Deux
  • Act II: Introduction, Scene Dansante, and Spanish Dance
  • Act II: Final Waltz and Apotheosis

Some conductors, such as Robert Irving of the New York City Ballet, have made record albums of both Tchaikovsky suites from the ballet. For many years, Irving conducted the New York City Ballet's annual production of The Nutcracker, including the U.S. 1958 telecast".

And 'right?

Thank you!

Antonio Garganese
Prato (Florence), Italy

04/12/2011 18:47

You are right to be suspicious — the Wikipedia statement is incorrect. Tchaikovsky only compiled the one suite from The Nutrcacker. Maybe one of our readers who happens to be a Wikipedia editor could correct this information?

Brett Langston

04/12/2011 21:03

Dear Mr. Langston!

thank you very much. About the ballet again, remember that for the first performance of "Suite", some pieces were repeated, for the great success.

Can you tell me which ones? I can not find a reference right now ...

Sincerely.

Antonio Garganese
Prato, Florence-Italy

05/12/2011 15:55

Unfortunately, Wikipedia can be updated by just about anyone with a computer and internet access. As Mr. Langston has already stated, this is false about the second Nutcracker Suite. I will see if I can update it. I've never used Wikipedia.

Best,

M. Svoboda-Britz

05/12/2011 16:57

Dear M.Svoboda-Britz!

I looked at the note on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nutcracker

about the wrong information:

note 19

^ "Tchaikovsky / Robert Irving, New York City Ballet Orchestra, 1959: Nutcracker Suites 1 & 2, Complete - Videos - Peru Peru Videos". Video.musicaveo.com.Retrieved 1 July 2011.

This is the link:

http://video.musicaveo.com/videos/dnAf7mqjZH8/7/1/spaish/tchaikovsky-robert-irving-nyc-ballet-orchestra-1959-nutcracker-suites-1-amp-2-complete 

30 minutes into the video: the booklet appears. It explains it well. Some directors have other "Suites" of the ballet using music in the score.

The mistake comes from this.

I work with Italian Wikipedia, but I prefer that the correction is made by some of the English language (the "Tchaikovsky Research" better).

Really thank you.

Antonio Garganese
Prato, Florence-Italy

05/12/2011 20:05

Dear Mr. Garganese,

I have deleted the false information in regards to the fictitious second Nutcracker Suite from the English version of Wikipedia. Please note that just because I've updated it doesn't mean that someone else cannot re-update it and put the false information back on its site - I hope this does not happen. Unfortunately, Wikipedia is used by many people who sometimes purposely post false information about various topics to which they have no real basis for posting to begin with. Thanks for the information.

Happy Holidays!

M. Svoboda-Britz

06/12/2011 06:39

It’s ironic to think that we wouldn’t have a Nutcracker Suite at all if Tchaikovsky didn’t destroy The Voyevoda after its first performance.

Funny how things work out...

Fred Edwards

06/12/2011 07:32

Thanks Mr. Svoboda-Britz!

Effectively "Wikipedia" has that problem ...

Users' register "can follow any future amendments, to control all operations over time.

Mr. Fred Edwards!

I think she has made, unwittingly confusing. Pieces of "TheVoyevoda" and "Undine" was used in "Swan Lake" not in "Nutcracker":

Parts of "The Voyevoda" destroyed (but reconstructed in 1949) were used in "Oprichnik" and, just, in "Swan Lake".

These compositions are linked together for the passage of material ...

So also "Undine" gave pieces to "The Snow Maiden" and "Second Symphony".

Here are the links to "Tchaikovsky Research":

Perhaps Mr. Langston (or others) can say in summary about the different "transfers" with precision.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me "bis" the premiereof the Suite of "The Nutcracker", directed by

Tchaikovsky.

Thank you very much and best wishes to all!

Antonio Garganese
Prato, Florence-Italy

06/12/2011 13:06

... and the reading of these links in the "ResearchTchaikovky" goes to show the composer, especially in the early compositions (but something even in mature age, as the "Symphony in E major," then "Concerto No. 3" for piano and orchestra and "Andante and Finale"), do not throw anything away ...

Antonio Garganese
Prato.Florence-Italy

06/12/2011 13:52

To avoid further misunderstanding, we must just draw a distinction between Tchaikovsky's early opera The Voevoda (Op.3), referred to by Mr Garganese, and the late orchestral work The Voevoda (Op.78) mentioned by Mr Edwards, which are not connected. Tchaikovsky's dissatisfaction with Op.78 led to him destroying the score after its premiere, and the suite fron The Nutcracker was a substitute for a second performance of the work.

So far I haven't been able to track down the answer to Mr Garganese's question about precisely which numbers from the Op.71a suite had to be repeated, but I'll keep looking...

Brett Langston

06/12/2011 16:50

This discussion is closed and has been archived, but you are welcome to try our new forum at:

http://forum.tchaikovsky-research.net

Please note that we are not responsible for the content of external web-sites

This page was last updated on 05 November 2013